So this is Christmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun
At the beginning of this year I wrote a post about my projects and resolutions for 2012: how did they turn out?
I had two main projects for the year, which I started up as visiting researcher in Utrecht during the first semester of 2011-2012. First and foremost, at the beginning of the year I was still looking for a new job and was about to hand in my research grant application. Fortunately, I succeeded in securing funds for my research project on “Philosophy as Science in the School of Brentano” and in October I left Leuven and started working in Utrecht.
On the other hand, I wasn’t able to make as much progress with my book as I hoped. I’m making this my first new years resolution for 2013: to finally finish my book on The Beginnings of Husserl’s Philosophy.
Luckily, my further plans to get at least a handful of articles published in 2012 went a lot better. Some things were postponed a bit, but other opportunities came along:
- My paper on “Husserl’s Psychology of Arithmetic” was published in the Bulletin d’analyse Phénoménologique (and has been viewed more than 300 times since it was posted online).
- “La notion husserlienne de multiplicité : au-delà de Cantor et Riemann” (a French translation of my paper on “Husserl’s Notion of Manifold: Beyond Cantor and Riemann”) appeared in Methodos.
- An article on “Brentano and the Theory of Signs” was published in Paradigmi.
- A review of Stefania Centrone’s book “Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics in the Early Husserl” just appeared online in Husserl Studies.
- My article on “Brentano and Mathematics” that appeared in the Revue Roumaine de Philosophie was also included in a volume edited by Ion Tanasescu on Franz Brentano’s Metaphysics and Psychology.
So what’s up for next year?
- A collection of (translations of) reviews of Husserl’s Philosophie der Arithmetik should appear soon in volume 12 of The New Yearbook for Phenomenology and Phenomenological Philosophy.
- The chapter I prepared on “Carl Stumpf’s Philosophy of Mathematics” for the volume Philosophy from an Empirical Standpoint. Carl Stumpf as a Philosopher edited by Denis Fisette and Riccardo Martinelli should appear early in 2013.
- I’m still working on the SEP (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy) entry on Christian von Ehrenfels, in collaboration with Robin Rollinger.
- I will elaborate my paper on “Making the Humanities Scientific: Brentano’s project of Philosophy as Science and the Foundations of the Human Sciences” for the proceedings of the conference “The Making of the Humanities”.
- I am preparing a contribution for a collected volume on Brentano and Psychology
Moreover, since I haven’t been blogging much of late, I also will try to update my blog more regularly.